Year 2017, Volume 2, Issue 1

Year : 2017
Volume : 2
Issue : 1
Authors : Bander M. ALSAGHAN, Ahmed M. DIAB, Abdullah S. ALHOTAN
Abstract : The purposes of this research are to: i) Measure the degree of utilization of Social Networks (SNS) (Facebook, Twitter, Instgram, Google Plus, LinkedIn, Flicker, Tumblr, Hi5, Whatsapp, Snapchat, and Youtube) among agricultural extension personnel in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), ii) Identify the role of SNSs in provision of extension services from the viewpoint of respondents, and iii) Recommend interventions needed to enhance the utilization of SNSs in provision of extension services. An online survey with 55 agricultural extension personnel represent 22% of the total number of extension personnel in KSA (250 personnel) was conducted in April-May 2016, frequencies and percentages were used for data presentation. Sample was young (82% are less than 45 years old) and rather highly educated (75% were have university degree or postgraduate studies). Results show that the majority of respondents (60%) have a medium level of SNS utilization, while the remaining 40% were divided equally between low and high levels of utility. More than two-fifths (46%) declared that they highly prefer using SNS in contacting farmers, and the same percentage indicated that SNS is highly facilitate their work circumstances. Most of respondents (85%), stated that SNSs have positive impact in facilitation of extension personnel communication capacities, most of them (96%) indicated the high and medium positive impact of SNSs in the extension employee’s acquiring knowledge. Also, most of respondents (91%) stated that SNSs were helped them in achieving their work tasks with medium and highly base. Study recommends and concludes some interventions for better SNS-based extension services in KSA.
For citation : Alsaghan,B. M., Diab, A. M., Alhotan, A. S. (2017). Social network sites utilized in agricultural extension services in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. AGROFOR International Journal, Volume 2. Issue No. 1. pp. 19-27. DOI: 10.7251/AGRENG1701019A
Keywords : Social Media, Online survey, Agricultural Extension, KSA
download paper